Friday, January 15, 2010

Searching for Organic Produce in the Winter

Winter on Prince Edward Island is the pits. Aside from the fact that it's far too cold outside, it's near impossible to find a healthy variety of organic produce. This time of year the only produce available at the farmers' market in town is potatoes and carrots. I still go every weekend and buy whatever I can local but it's pretty much the potatoes and carrots. That leaves me relying on the grocery store all winter for the rest of my fruits and vegetables. Too bad the selection of organic produce is pitiful. I can usually count on bananas, apples, green onions, and celery. Once in a while there's a shipment of cauliflower (or broccoli if I'm really lucky).

Anyway, as you can see, it's very tough to eat all organic produce here in the wintertime. But, somehow, my wife and I manage to do it.

I've searched and searched online for a company that will deliver fresh, organic produce to Prince Edward Island. I can't find anything. I'd love your help. If you know of a company or come across one, please leave a comment on this post. I find myself craving zucchini, bell peppers, squash, and more.

Do any of you live somewhere in which finding organic produce proves to be difficult?

4 comments:

Jenn said...

It's so true, it's harder to find quality organic seasonal produce this time of year. I'm glad I found your blog, I've enjoyed catching up on it.

Jenn, HelloVeggie.Org

Vicky said...

Hi there,

My name's Vicky and I'm also a vegan. I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh and I'm coming to PEI in March to do my dissertation at UPEI.
I'm kind of worried about whether or not I'll be able to find soya alternatives to dairy etc in Charlottetown, as from what I gather it's not a very vegan friendly place?
I'd reaaally appreciate it if you could give me info on places in Charlottetown where I could possible find vegan cheese, meat etc.

Best wishes
Vicky

Billy said...

Hi Vicky,

Nice to meet you.

I'd be glad to give you a rundown on the vegan guide to Prince Edward Island. We should also meet up while you're here.

Please email me and we can talk privately. You can click on the "Email me" link on my blog's homepage: http://vegtalk.blogspot.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Janet said...

I agree with you Jenn that during Winter it's so difficult to find food stuff and ingredients that we have been use to, but because of the lessons learned in the past, I had to look for a software that has helped me with substituting ingredients with similar nutritional values.http://bit.ly/drxDg4 is very handy because menus are easy to find and subs are there too. This is helpful for me because sometimes there are visitors who make real surprise visits and I need to prepare some things in a jiffy.