I'm sick and tired of government, politicians, and corporations dancing around the issue of climate change. We're sacrificing our planet for economic reasons. Don't you think that's crazy? We've also become accustomed to our way of life and are reluctant to change.
We've been destroying the earth for far too long and we need to take action now.
Here's what we need to do to fix climate change:
- Adopt a vegan diet
- Raising animals for food is an ecological disaster. Eating animal products is the single worst thing you can do for the environment. It takes far more resources to raise animals for food when we could be using less by eating lower on the food chain. If you really care about the planet and want to make a change please go vegan. Take action now: Read more about veganism and even get a free vegan starter kit at Vegan Outreach.
- Conventional farming methods are not sustainable and the pesticides, herbicides, and many chemicals are killing us and our planet. We need to stop subsidizing products that are killing us, ban chemicals, and farm organically only. Take action now: Support organic farmers by purchasing only organic produce in your grocery store. Better yet, visit your farmer market and find organic and local produce there. You can also purchase clothing made with organic cotton.
- There's a disconnect between flipping on a light switch and understanding how the electricity got there. Most of the grid is powered by fossil fuels (coal). We need to switch to solar and wind power and stop using fossil fuels and nuclear power. If we invest in renewable technology we'll create a sustainable system and many jobs in the process. Take action now: Invest in solar and wind power or install the technology yourself.
- At the same time we're greening the grid we should invest heavily in designing and manufacturing electric cars. GM created an electric car with a decent range years ago but then pulled it before it went to market (watch the movie Who Killed the Electric Car? for more information). The technology is there. We just need to stop letting the oil companies control our policies and our planet. Those that are smart will switch to renewable energy, those that aren't will die out. This will also mean people will stop using oil to heat their homes. Instead, people in colder climates can use electricity from the green grid or something like a pellet stove. Take action now: Drive only when you need to and buy a fuel-efficient vehicle.
- We can't just green the grid and still consume the same amount of power. We ultimately need to use less. Australia has banned incandescent light bulbs. Why can't we? It's such a simple change and uses only 1/4 of the electricity. Take action now: Switch out your light bulbs with CFLs.
- For the same reasons as above, we need to produce the most energy-efficient appliances. Take action now: When you need a new appliance look for one that has the Energy Star certification.
- I can't believe some areas still don't have decent recycling programs. We need to be recycling everything we use. On the same note, we should be manufacturing products with post-consumer material to reuse and cut down on the resources we need. Take action now: Be diligent about making the most of your area's recycling program. Recycle everything you can.