Friday, April 17, 2009

Plant-Based Nutrition Online Courses Offered by Cornell


My wife just shared some great news with me: Cornell University is offering a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, which you can obtain completely online.

The three-course series (with each course running two weeks) is led by T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study.

The program looks really interesting. The only downside? The price: $795.

Here's some information about the course that my wife received in an email from an Enrollment Counselor at Cornell:

Plant-based nutrition represents a forward-looking view of nutrition that Dr. Campbell developed during his more than 40 years experience in experimental research and 20 years in public policy. This course series presents a different paradigm, considering the topic of nutrition both as a science and as a component of the practice of medicine. It is an expansion of NS 200, a successful Cornell course approved by the Department of Nutritional Science and offered for 7 years. This new online series offers the best of his work as well as the latest information from leading experts in the field.

This certificate series is designed to introduce the ability of properly executed nutrition to maintain health and prevent disease. These courses would be of interest to healthcare professionals, corporate policymakers, individuals wishing to improve health, parents, teachers, and school administrators

Course topics include:

1) Nutrition Fundamentals
2) Diseases of Affluence
3) Principles in Practices

How the Course Works:

In our 2 week long courses you will learn through watching lectures, participating in discussion boards and taking evaluations. The coursework is available to be completed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on an asynchronous platform so you do not have to be online at the same time as the instructor or other students in order to complete the coursework.

Course Pricing:

Prepaid Certificate: $795
Individual Courses: $295

Next available enrollment dates: April 29th, May 13th, and June 10th

I'm strongly considering enrolling, even though I'm broke right now. I think this would be very useful information to have.

If you're interested you can get more information on the program at eCornell.

8 comments:

Alicia (Vegan Guinea Pig) said...

What a great program! I would love to enroll but the cost is so high! Hopefully this course will be around for a while.

Billy said...

Hi Alicia. Yea, I know what you mean. I'm really interested but I just don't know if I can swing the cost right now.

josie said...

this is what i have been searching for... $800 seems a little high at first... but consider the normal undergrad class at Cornell or any other non state school costs something like $1000+ ... I'm going to start a little savings acct for this... seems worth while... thanks for the info

VeganCowGirl said...

This is excellent! Thanks so much for posting (and to your wife for finding it!)

Rob Paterson said...

How cool - I wish this was offered when I was going to school there. I would have taken this in a heart beat, even if I had to pay for this out of pocket.

vko said...

Sounds like a great course- hope they offer it again!

Marija said...

It sounds very interesting. It is a bit pricey (you'd think you would buy tons of vegan-related books for that kind of money), but I'm sure the experience is worth it.

Carole said...

I'm enrolling!!!I'm a dentist and anymore I am spending more time talking about veganism than anything else. It would really help my credentials when I am telling my obese, diabetic, hypertensive patients just the opposite what their obese, diabetic, hypertensive physicians are telling them. Thanks