Saturday, March 21, 2009

My New Vegan Tattoo

I'm back from my visit to the Washington, DC area. I love going back to see friends and family.

Anyway, I came back to PEI with a new tattoo! Here it is:



For those who don't know, it's a modified version of the DC flag. I replaced the three stars with XVX (for vegan straight edge). I am from DC and have a lot of ties to the area and being vegan straight edge really defines a big part of me.

I discovered something while doing my research on tattoos: tattoo ink can be vegan or non-vegan! I didn't know this when I got my first tattoo. I'd heard rumors since but had never done a lot of research on the topic. Well, I spent hours online and was able to dig up some information.

There really isn't a whole lot of information (at least not organized well) available on vegan tattoos. The amount of research I had to do has compelled me to write a blog post or dedicate a web site to the issue. This is forthcoming.

Anyway, I did find out the following three brands of ink are all vegan:
  1. Classic

  2. Eternal

  3. Stable

The information really needs to be put out there for all of us interested in tattooing ourselves. I'm going to put something together and let you know when it's available. I think it'd also be helpful to compile a list of vegan tattoo artists. Given the choice, I'd much rather give my money to a fellow vegan.

I got tattooed at Tattoo Paradise, located in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of Washington, DC. The guy who did my tattoo, Shawn, was really nice and uses a mix of inks (some being the Eternal brand). He told me he follows a vegan diet as well. Anyway, I highly recommend them. The shop was clean and professional. The guy at the front desk also got me a soda when I almost passed out during my tattoo. (I hadn't eaten in a while and my blood sugar level was low, although I'm also a baby with sharp pain.)

12 comments:

steph said...

I'm really glad you posted about this! After years of pondering to get the tat I want I'm down to actually looking for shops--it's fantastic to know there's a local vegan artist--thank you:)

Billy said...

Hey Steph,

I'm glad my post was helpful for you.

The artist, Shawn, told me he follows a vegan diet. I inferred from our conversation that he may not follow the vegan lifestyle (he may buy products tested on animals). I'm not really sure. Nevertheless, he does follow a vegan diet, which is awesome!

What do you want to get tattooed?

Hannah said...

Great tattoo! That's right about where I have my vegan bunny, too.

I'm about to get some more ink done very soon, so this is such great timing. :)

one and only hypnos said...

great tattoo

Anonymous said...

i have been vegan since 1991, and raw vegan since 2001, and i thank you VERY MUCH for your blog and all that you share.

my blog: http://ourbelovedearth.blogspot.com

aloha...=)

Lalita-"Peace Through Kindness" said...

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.

Albert Schweitzer, French philosopher, physician, and musician (Nobel 1952)

benevolentXmachine said...

Yo, awesome post.

I would love to have a list of Vegan Artists, I also would want to only give me money to vegans.

XVX, I have a tat like yours, I should do a post on it. Have a lot of work done, but I'm not sure if the ink was vegan, I'll have to be careful in the future.

Peace.

XVX for life, R.A.S.H. 'til death.

Q said...

Thanks for posting! I've been working in D.C. this summer and thinking about getting a tattoo. As a vegan, finding a place that uses vegan ink has been my number one roadblock. Thanks for clearing the way.

jaffe said...

why would someone visiting dc for a summer get our flag tattooed on them? rep your own city.

Billy said...

Maybe it's because I was born and raised in DC.

ntenzetattooink said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information. I'll definitely add this great post in my article section.
Tattoo Ink Supplies

Elisabeth Kelly said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I have been trying to find a vegan friendly tattoo shoppe in DC for a while!

xoxo, charley