Friday, October 10, 2008

Tag: What's in Your (Vegan) Freezer?

I'm initiating a new game of tag for vegan bloggers: what's in your (vegan) freezer?

Here's how it works:
  1. Take a picture of the items in your freezer

  2. Post the picture to your blog and give a summary of the items

  3. Tag 5 vegan bloggers

Here's a look into my freezer:





As you can see, I have the essentials:
  • Frozen organic fruit (strawberries, blueberries)

  • Frozen organic vegetables (peas, corn, asparagus)

  • Amy's No Cheese pizzas

  • Amy's burritos

  • So Delicious soy ice cream (Peanut Butter Zig Zag & Praline Pecan)

  • Tofu (freezing and thawing produces a nice texture)

  • Waffles

  • Ezekiel bread, english muffins, and (veggie) burger buns (I love Ezekiel)

I obviously have fewer options than I did in Seattle but I can't complain about the vegan options here on Prince Edward Island. The reason for the frozen vegetables is that it's hard to find everything I need (organic, anyway).

I'm tagging:
  1. VeganCowGirl

  2. VeggieGirl

  3. Chocolate Covered Vegan

  4. Lindsay I-F

  5. Rural Vegan

12 comments:

Lindsay I-F said...

yum i would love some of that ice scream right now yummy.

Lindsay I-F said...

I am leaving today until sunday but I will be sure to participate in Tag: What's in your (vegan) frezzer when I get back!

VeggieGirl said...

What a fun post!! It's always interesting seeing what others keep in their freezers :0) I DEFINITELY have tons of frozen berries in my freezer as well; and I USED to have the those same Amy's and Ezekiel products (before I had to go gluten-free - blah!).

Thanks for the tag! :0)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

You would be SCARED to see my freezer! It is literally bursting at the seams! But I will try and clean it up so I can participate in this fun tag!

Elaine Vigneault said...

Great idea!

VeganCowGirl said...

~Thanks Billy! Just saw this post - will get to it tonight for sure!I am soooo jealous of what is in your frezzer.

jennconspiracy said...

I love this topic - I started posting my annotated freezer & refrigerator photos when I got so disgusted by the Veg News feature showing 95% packaged foods in their "celebrity" readers' refrigerators.

As much as I love stuff like the field roast sausages - that plastic casing is NOT recyclable and I don't want to generate plastic that will be on the planet for thousands of years for one meal. I'm resolved to make my own seitan and to buy local tofu (except they still keep putting it in plastic bags - grr! need to get it from a deli).

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That's a good freezer haul! I have some of those waffles too. I also have an 8lb block of tofu!

kittee said...

I might crash this party,even if I don't get tagged...

xo
kittee

Anne from Vegan Digest said...

I've been a vegan for over a year now and still have some non-vegan items in the back of my freezer. Some Trader Joe's muffins, cheese, etc. I can't seem to throw them away?? I keep telling my husband someone will visit us that will want to take the items home, so they won't go to waste. Who am I kidding? What friend would want 15 month old frozen bran muffins? They weren't that good to begin with. Thanks for the inspiration to get rid of these reminders of my past life...

Billy said...

Hi Anne,

I'd recommend giving away any food that hasn't gone bad. One idea is to bring it all to a food bank and explain to them that you've had it in the freezer for a while and aren't sure how long food keeps. They'll let you know whether they can accept it or not. If not, you tried and you can toss it.

That's just my opinion anyway. Thanks so much for sharing.

Billy

thefriggintribe said...

I'd love this idea. I'd post but I live with non vegans therefore my part of the freezer is buried in the piles of frozen flesh :(