Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Can Find Tempeh Burgers but Not Tempeh


Before moving to Prince Edward Island (PEI) I was prepared to go without tempeh. I heard it was nowhere to be found on the island.

I haven't found tempeh but I have found tempeh burgers. Atlantic Superstore in Charlottetown sells them. They're made by Green Cuisine and are available at the store near me in Original and Barbecue flavors.

Apparently Green Cuisine is a vegan restaurant in Victoria, BC. They also happen to sell some of their products.

The tempeh tastes like Australian tempeh. (I lived in Australia for six months.) It's softer and more moist. I like Canadian/Australian tempeh and tempeh I previously bought in the U.S. the same I believe. They're just different.

I make due with what I have here on PEI. It's understand that my options are limited because I am in the middle of nowhere. I just open the package of burgers and slice them into small pieces and use them as I would from a normal package of tempeh. My wife made an amazing stir-fry with tempeh, kale, red potatoes, and great spices tonight. (I love kale).

For those of you not in Canada: sorry, Green Cuisine's products are available only here.

Has anyone been to the restaurant in Victoria? I never made it up to Victoria when I was living in Seattle.

11 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

I adore those tempeh burgers! They are fantastic. Enjoy!

Lindsay I-F said...

I miss those tempeh burgers now that I don't live in Canada anymore. I will have to get some next time we visit my in-laws in NB.

ruk said...

Perhaps you should talk to Maritime Soycraft (right here in PEI!) about the possibility of developing a tempeh -- see http://www.maritimesoycraft.com/

Billy said...

Thanks for the link Ruk!

I haven't heard of Maritime Soycraft. I don't believe I've seen their products in the stores.

amyg said...

Oh man. Now I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow night! Just got kale and I believe I have everything else. So, what were these mystery spices?

Billy said...

When I cook I usually add a bunch of spices: turmeric, cayenne, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger. You name it, I probably put it in. :)

Alicia said...

I'd love to try the Green Cuisine products and i'm so jealous they're not in the states! I love that you live in PEI it reminds me of Anne of Green Gables ( I had a sick obession with this show when i was a kid)

JohnP said...

Making tempeh is not supposed to be hard. I know several people who have done it successfully. I have bought starter and plan to try soon. The consistency difference with the Australian tempeh may have to do with how long it is aged.

Wo Dao said...

Aye, here in Vancouver,

Well, since I see that they sell the packaged Tempeh in a box (for Green Cuisine)

They also happen to sell wheat-tempeh and plain soy-tempeh in a plastic encasement. Perhaps you might want to ask the stores to put that into stock. Just a thought.

Anyways, I never went to Victoria yet (into the Green Cuisine buffet/store), despite that I would have close opportunities to do so. Maybe someday.

Jessica Schafer said...

Green Cuisine is a great restaurant! But I would love to find plain tempeh in Victoria, because I've got some great recipes and I don't want to start with pre-flavoured tempeh. Any ideas?

Jessica Schafer said...

Green Cuisine is a great restaurant! But I would love to find plain tempeh in Victoria, because I've got some great recipes and I don't want to start with pre-flavoured tempeh. Any ideas?