Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Trip to San Francisco

I just got back from my trip to San Francisco yesterday. It was amazing, as always. I really love that city.

I went to San Francisco to attend the VegNews Music Issue Launch Party for the VegBloggy award I won. The party was at the Electric Works Gallery and it was packed:



I met and spoke with Elizabeth Castoria. She's the Senior Editor at VegNews and is extremely nice. I saw Joseph Connelly, Publisher of VegNews, running about but didn't get a chance to say hi to him.

I also met two other fellow vegan bloggers: Lauren (VeganYumYum) and Amanda (Walking the Vegan Line). Lauren brought her husband Stewart and Amanda brought her husband as well.

Lauren and Amanda were both super nice. It was nice meeting both of you! If I'm ever in Boston or Houston I'll let you know.

Below is a picture of Stewart, Lauren, and my friend Amy.



I flew into San Francisco Wednesday night but didn't end up getting into the city until almost 11pm, as my flight was delayed almost two hours. All flights in and out of SFO were delayed due to the fires in Northern California. The smoke from all of the fires was so bad that it was pretty smokey in San Francisco. Below are some pictures I took from Telegraph Hill. You can really see the smoke in them. I was looking for the wild parrots but didn't find any. For those of you who don't know, I'm obsessed with birds. I love them.





Telegraph Hill is probably my favorite part of San Francisco. Here's another picture of Telegraph Hill:



I started Thursday morning with brunch at Herbivore - the location on Divisadero. I really love Herbivore. I've stopped in every time I've been to San Francisco. Their brunch is really good. I had fruit pancakes.

I also went to Amoeba Music, which I consider the very best music store in the country. I bought the self-titled Sublime CD to replace the one I lost, the complete season of Extras for my wife, and a Nine Inch Nails CD for my best friend. If you've never been to Amoeba you should definitely check it out the next time you're in San Francisco. It's in the extremely popular and touristy Haight Ashbury neighborhood.

Of course no trip to San Francisco would be complete without stopping at Maggie Mudd. For those few vegans who haven't heard of Maggie Mudd it's an ice cream shop in the Bernal Heights neighborhood that can make most everything vegan. It's amazing! I usually get the Waffle Bowl Banana Split but this time I got the Messy Marci (a brownie topped with three scoops of ice cream, bananas, whipped cream, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, and more). Here's a picture of what my friend Amy and I got (mine is on the left):



And here's me about to enjoy my treat:



As always, I was sad to leave San Francisco. I caught a very early (6am) flight back to Seattle because I had a meeting for work.

I'm looking forward to reading blog posts from Lauren and Amanda.

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

What a FANTASTIC trip!! Oh man, those sundaes look KILLER - love it :0)

XJessicaX said...

You should probably never take pictures with your mouth open like that... haha just kidding! I'm so jealous of you though... I just told Robbie we should move to San Francisco, just because of the Ice Cream Sundaes!!! Congratulations on your award! Oh and that's fucking awesome that you like Sublime haha, me too! Don't tell anyone though:)

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh I wish I'd had time to get to Maggie Mudd's!! NExt time I suppose.... it was great to meet you at the party!
I just got back from vegas so it may take me a day or two to post about the trip.... take care!

Anonymous said...

Sweet.

Being one who's a prude to travel, I gotta say, this post sure helps me out. I will refer to this if I ever need to go to SF. there were other guidances of vegan & fruitarian related stuff too...just not sure where I put those bookmark favorites..hahah

A fine influence. *thumbs up*


Wo Dao

Happy Herbivore! said...

looks like you had a good time! I love Herbivore in SF.

Robbie said...

Sublime sucks my balls!

amyg said...

Hey, here's another awesome picture of you eating for your friends to enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amyg/2626851482/

tommy said...

i once scored a Woody Allen import cd of his stand up at Amoeba: LA. So yea, I love it there.
Pics look badass

Corey said...

Is that an until industries drug free hoodie you're wearing in this picture?
sweet deal if so.

Billy said...

Corey: yes, it's an Until Industries Drug Free hoodie. I'm straight edge.