Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Answer to Conserving Resources Lies on Your Plate

I've had enough of all the recent bashing of biofuels. I drive a biodiesel car and do all I can to reduce my carbon footprint.

Here's a snippet from the article:

But with growing fears over biofuels stealing from dinner plates to fill gas tanks, people are starting to wonder: How green are biofuels?

The media is looking for a scapegoat, someone to blame for rising crop prices. Their plan: bash biodiesel and other biofuels. I was unaware that going to war for oil, killing innocent people, and transporting that fuel all the way back to the U.S. was more eco-friendly. I must have missed that.

The biodiesel I run in my car is grown right here in Washington state, produced in South Seattle, and sold at a station a mile from my home. That's not eco-friendly? Sure, it takes resources to produce anything; however, nearly all electricity in Seattle comes from renewable energy, which is wonderful. That set aside, it still takes far less resources to produce my biodiesel than it would to buy oil dug up across the world and shipped here. (Not to mention the CO2 gasoline puts into the air.)

Anyway, my point is this: if you want to conserve resources, go vegan! Adopting a vegan diet is the best thing you can do for your health, the environment, and other life on this planet. Years ago I wrote an essay on my reasons for going vegan. I'll locate the paper and post it on my blog in the near future.

Eating lower on the food chain requires less resources. Makes sense, right? Instead of wasting so much agricultural land growing crops to feed to animals, why not just eat the crops directly yourself? Here's a visual comparison of the resources involved to support omnivore and vegan diets:

Omnivore: Raising crops -> housing animals -> feeding crops to animals -> slaughtering animals -> shipping animal byproducts

Vegan: Raising crops -> processing crops -> shipping crops

Note: you can also cut on the processing phase by buying whole foods and supporting your local farmers.

Consuming animals in today's society is completely unnecessary, and it's actually harmful to your health. So, if you decide to consume animals you're doing so based solely on taste.

I'll leave you with a final question: is eating animals worth wasting all those resources and contributing to the degradation of our planet?

7 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Amen for this post!! I too am sick of the bashing - every little step counts!

Eating animals is DEFINITELY not worth it - I'm a proud vegan :0)

romina said...

I could not agree more. Cut out the meat, cut out the extra energy and resources. Imagine how many people around the world we could feed if we didn't use all that food to feed cows and other animals? There wouldn't be a global food crisis.

vegan addict said...

I completely agree with you. Urg... People are so resistant to change for the greater good of our world. I think it is because a lot of people think only in the short-term, and overlook how their choices will affect future generations. Being vegan is so simple and SO much more rewarding, so much more...

My congrats and praises to you for using alternative fuel. More people really ought to. My feet are my fuel!

VeganLinda said...

I did a recent post on this same theme. I really can't believe how people don't see it.

Elaine Vigneault said...

"if you want to conserve resources, go vegan! Adopting a vegan diet is the best thing you can do for your health, the environment, and other life on this planet."

Absolutely.

VeganCowGirl said...

Hey! I agree totally with your comment. It is as though the right winged media is looking for a (new) way to take apart environmental issues/thoughts/concerns. However, they rarely manage to mention that if all of the thousands of crops being used to grow food for cattle were being used as food source we would be able to sustain our biofuel adventures, while being able to feed EVERYONE.

It is interesting how easy it is to start pointing these anti-biofuel fingers. Thanks for the post!

How are the wedding plans going?

Vegan_Noodle said...

Totally agree! I think going vegan is one of the best things you can do for the planet. Why isn't this all over the media?