Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On a More Personal Note

Today marks the one year anniversary of the shootings at Virginia Tech.

UPDATE: Here's a story about one of the survivors.

This really hit home when it happened, as I went to Virginia Tech for college. My brother did as well. Seeing pictures and footage of the campus and students was very upsetting. Blacksburg was my home for over four years. I loved that little town. I have a lot of memories there.

It's crazy to think that something like this happened at Virginia Tech. Blacksburg is an extremely safe town. I'm thankful my brother had graduated. I had a friend still in town and made sure she was alright.

The end of 2006 to the beginning of 2007 was a very tough time in my life. Those five months were the worst of my life.

In November of 2006 my fiancee's mom died suddenly. On New Year's Eve my best friend's mom died of brain and kidney cancer. In February of 2007 my mom died of leukemia. Then, in April the massacre at Virginia Tech happened. Everything happened at once. I was on emotional and depression overload.

I miss everyone so very much. Linda, Joan, and Mom: I miss you all every day.

I treasure my life and my loved ones. Life is very special. Enjoy your time with the ones you love. You never know what each day will bring.

6 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Excellent post. I'm so sorry that the event touched you even MORE personally than most of us out there; but you're so right - we need to cherish life, and our loved ones.

VeganLinda said...

Cherish every moment is all we can do. Mourning the loss of a loved one and a loss for humanity as in the V Tech situation is a day to day process. I wish you peace and healing.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

It is so true; enjoy life while you can. I'm so sorry for everything that happened to you last year-- and all in such a short time! Hopefully this year has been better for you.

Loretta said...

Hi Billy. I know what you're feeling today. I've been feeling many of the same emotions. I wrote a somewhat depressing post on my other blog last night (circadiancerebrations.blogspot.com). Last April 16 was really hard for our family, especially for my husband because it was gun violence that killed his mother when he was still just a child.
I totally agree with you that we should treasure the days and times we have with our loved ones, and the most wonderful thing we can do for those we have lost is to remember them, remember all the wonderful things they taught us, all the wonderful memories we shared with them, and all of the ways that they enriched our lives during the time they were here with us.

Jennifer said...

What a year for you all!

It's hard when those you love are no longer around.

You are so right, we need to make certain, every day, that we appreciate our time here and those we get to share it with.

Thank you Billy, it's nice to be reminded that we need to be thankful. :-)

Pregnantly Plump said...

Billy, I'm so sorry you had such a rough year last year. I hate that we weren't still working together so I would be able to offer compassion in person. I'm glad you're taking such a positive outlook, though. We do have so much to be thankful for!