Friday, April 25, 2008

New Vegan Cream Cheese Hits Shelves


Follow Your Heart, makers of the delicious Vegan Gourmet Cheese, have released Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese!

The new vegan cream cheese hit store shelves not long ago. I was shopping at PCC, my local co-op, a few days ago and noticed the container right next to Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese. Tofutti is in for some fierce competition!

Here's how they compare:

Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese

Ingredients: Water, expeller processed natural oil blend (soybean, palm fruit and olive), maltodexterin, soy protein, tofu, nondairy lactic acid, organic sugar, blend of natural gums (locust bean, guar, cellulose, xanthan and carrageenan), vegetable mono and diglycerides, salt.

Price: ~ $3.50

Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese

Ingredients: Filtered water, org. palm fruit oil, org. soybean oil, inulin (chicory root extract), org. soybeans, soy protein, org. agave syrup, sea salt, org. soy protein, lactic acid, org. rice starch, org. lemon juice concentrate, natural flavor, org. locust bean gum, xanthan gum.

Price: ~ $3.50

Notice the organic ingredients in Follow Your Heart's product. The Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese is 76% organic.

The taste is very similar, though I think I may slightly prefer Tofutti because I've been eating it for years and am used to it.

Here are the reasons I'll be switching to Vegan Gourmet:
  1. Vegan company

  2. Organic ingredients

  3. No need to worry about hydrogenated oil (Tofutti currently sells one version with hydrogenated oil and one without...stupid)

  4. About the same cost


I highly recommend trying the new vegan cream cheese for yourself. Tofutti is not a vegan company and does not make the healthiest products.

If you can't find it in a store near you, you can buy it on their website.

I welcome Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese and will be using it as my cream cheese substitute from now on.

16 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

thanks for the recommendation!

Rural Vegan said...

That's good news! I don't often buy Tofutti's because only the hydrogenated version is available locally. At the same price, this is an easy decision!

Peacescrab said...

Sounds really good. But I wonder: Is the soy protein organic, or in light of the fact that the rest of the soy is organic, is it at least non-gmo? Also, what exactly is the natural flavor?

Billy said...

Good questions peacescrab.

Soy protein is an ingredient twice in the ingredients list. The first soy protein is non-organic, while the second is. This is very odd.

The natural flavor is not stated on the ingredients, but the product is certified vegan.

The product also says, "No preservatives or GMOs."

Peacescrab said...

Thanks, Billy. Nice to know that the label does say that there are no GMO's. I wish more companies would address that on their labels.

VeganLinda said...

I haven't seen this yet. Thanks for the heads up and the comparison. I agree "stupid" about the hydrogenated version of Tufutti (that is why we didn't buy it for years).

Vegan_Noodle said...

Great comparison! I'll have to see if my whole foods will carry it!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I just did a side by side taste of these & I think I prefer the Tofutti as well. The FYH has a weird aftertaste that seems very artificial to me.

Robbie said...

Just letting you know that Follow Your Heart is not a vegan company. They make several products that contain eggs or dairy, like their Ranch Dressing. Fuckers!

Billy said...

Robbie: no!!! I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. I really thought they were.

Anonymous said...

Wha!

Just south of the border!

I'm actually in Vancouver BC, Canada!

Seems like the West around here is sure vegan friendly.

Good to hear, I'll keep the list in mind or something. :D

Vancouver's got it's vegan friendly places too! (Only problem is, it's quite expensive around here in terms of rent, etc.)



Cheers,

Wo Dao

Anonymous said...

follow our heart is not a vegan company just for the record.. only vegetarian.. they still make ranch dressing and other products that have milk and eggs in them..

Anonymous said...

The only problem is if you don't make a cream cheese without hydrogenated oil, then you better compensate for it or people are going to make some pretty awful cheese cakes. That's why I'm buy the hydrogenated version.

cody said...

Just tried this, it's pretty tasty. I'm not a fan of the "better than" aftertaste so i've pretty much avoided eating it for years. My favorite vegan cream cheese, which was made locally here in San Francisco, got discontinued in 2006. I assume due to lack of distribution because it really tasted much better than both of these.

Anyway, I'm glad to find something worth putting on my bagel!

Anonymous said...

isn't maltodextrin non vegan?

Leah said...

Maltodextrin is a sugar made from corn or wheat or a similar starch. It's vegan.