Friday, March 7, 2008

Vegan, Organic Cocoa Puffs


I just discovered vegan, organic Cocoa Puffs! Words cannot express how excited I am. The cereal is called Chocolate Blastems and is made by Health Valley.

I had two bowls for breakfast this morning, with Vitasoy smooth vanilla soymilk (my favorite soymilk).

It's debatable as to whether original Cocoa Puffs are vegan, as vitamin D is one of the ingredients. Unless specified, vitamin D is almost always D3, which is never vegan. Does anyone know whether the vitamin D in Cocoa Puffs is D2 or D3? PETA says it's vegan, but we all know they list some products that aren't entirely vegan.

Regardless, even if original Cocoa Puffs are vegan, there now exists an organic and healthier version. Also, Health Valley is a division of Hain, which is a good company in my opinion.

They're really good! They definitely taste like Cocoa Puffs, but even better (or maybe I just think that because I know they're much healthier).

Chocolate Blastems are also made with 100% whole grains (corn meal, wheat, and oat). Here are the ingredients:

Organic whole grains (organic whole corn meal, organic whole wheat flour, organic whole oat flour), organic evaporated cane juice, organic cocoa powder, organic sunflower oil, natural flavors (chocolate, vanilla), sea salt, calcium carbonate, soy lecithin, natural vitamin E (for freshness).


Chocolate Blastems also contain less sugar than Cocoa Puffs (8g versus 13g per serving).

I bought my box at Whole Foods, as PCC (my local co-op) doesn't have them. I paid $3.29 for the 9oz box.

I definitely suggest you give them a try. What's your favorite vegan cereal?

6 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Mmm Vitasoy's my favorite too :o).

Billy said...

I always buy Vitasoy creamy vanilla (enriched). I drink it straight and use it in cereal. When baking, it doesn't much matter. I buy anything that's organic, unsweetened, and not vanilla.

Mihl said...

Thank you for visiting my blog!
As for your question, I love fruit muesly and puffed amaranth with soy yogurt. Does that count?

Billy said...

Hi Mihl. Yes, that counts. Bonus points for making your own. I'm usually too lazy and tired in the morning. :)

dreamy said...

Thanks for sharing your experience on my blog post. I really envy you! We dun have much vegan cereals here to choose from, and the vegan granola had just went off the shelves. It's back to plain old non-fortified corn flakes - speaking of that I should get some soon!

Billy said...

That's too bad you don't have vegan cocoa puffs near you. I really am quite spoiled here in Seattle.