Monday, March 31, 2008

Sexism in the Animal Rights Community

I was interviewed several weeks ago by Kara Jesella of The New York Times. She asked my opinion on perceived sexism in the animal rights community.

Here's the article she wrote. Sadly, her editor cut my quotes out of the piece. Damn.

Anyway, I told Kara my feelings: sexism runs rampant in our society. It's also prevalent in the animal rights movement. Take a look at the vegan strip club and some PETA anti-fur campaigns to see what I mean.

We all need to be conscious of all liberation struggles, not just animal liberation. We should not undermine one group to prop up another (e.g. objectifying women in order to spread the message of animal rights).

What do you all think?

8 comments:

Romina said...

First I'd like to say, congrats on the article! It's too bad they took the quotes out though.

Second, I think you're right, lots of vegans (I'm not going to generalize though because it's not fair) become overly concerned with animal rights and forget about human rights.

Andréa N. said...

I absolutely agree with you.

Jennifer said...

That sucks they took your quotes out! Arrrrrrr.

I also agree with Romina (and also won't generalize), sometimes animal rights activists seem to care more about animals than humans and fail to see that certain 'campaigns' they objectify humans (in this case women).

Sexism is perhaps the oldest 'ism' there is. I don't want to be naive, but I do hope that we can, as a species, get over all negative 'isms' at some point. I fear if we can't learn to live with one another, other creatures and the planet, there may not be much hope for us.

Vegan_Noodle said...

I agree with your comments. This is one of the biggest reasons that I'm not a supporter of PETA, they objectify women way too much. I think it draws the wrong kind of attention. Thanks for the article link!

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

I agree. I'm really bothered by Peta's "ink not mink" posters and Alicia Silverstone video. What message are they trying to diliver? Go vegan and other hot vegans will have sex with you? Who does that win over?

I see the only value of showing these near naked women (and some men) to be that, perhaps, it helps dispel the myth that vegans are all sickly.

pleasantly plump vegan said...

exploitation is exploitation.

Elaine Vigneault said...

Too bad your quote was cut.

I think there is plenty of sexism all over the place. And there's plenty of speciesism too.

ntenzetattooink said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
Vegan Ink Tattoo