Saturday, March 22, 2008

Organic Oatmeal Packets Provide an Easy Breakfast


Looking for a quick, delicious, and filling breakfast? I highly suggest Apple Cinnamon instant oatmeal. I usually don't have much time in the mornings, so I end up eating something easy like this.

It's made by Nature's Path, the same company that makes those awesome vegan, organic, whole grain waffles I blogged about a few days ago.

The oatmeal is all organic and made with whole grain steel cut oats. Here is the full list of ingredients: Organic rolled oats, organic evaporated cane juice, organic dried apple, organic cinnamon, sea salt, natural flavor.

There are eight packets in a box. Each packet has 190 calories, 2g of fat, 14g of sugar, and 6g of protein. I always eat two packets, though, as it takes more to fill me up. I guess 14g of sugar in each packet is kind of high, but at least it's not refined sugar. That counts for something, right?

I've also tried the Maple Nut flavor, which is really good as well.

Has anyone else tried any of the other flavors?

As an additional bonus, it's a local product for me. Nature's Path is based in Blaine, WA and their distributor is in British Columbia.

I'd like to start making my own oatmeal like Katie and Jennifer, but these packets are perfect for those mornings I'm in a rush, tired, or just plain lazy.

(Image courtesy of Nature's Path.)

10 comments:

Romina said...

I really like these because they're bigger than the Quaker or other brands. (55 grams as opposed to 30). They're great when you're in a pinch, but instant oats are so processed. =( So I never feel full long enough.

Billy said...

Nature's Path calls these instant oats, but they're not. They're rolled oats and are whole grain. That's one major reason I love them.

bean_mix said...

i am so jealous of all the great products that you lucky people overseas get to try.
I think I'll have to start demanding care packages soon!!

Billy said...

Bean Mix,

I remember that about Australia. When I arrived there and started looking for vegan food, I quickly noticed there was a lot less of it.

I'm so spoiled that I live in a city with an all-vegan store too: Sidecar for Pigs Peace. All proceeds benefit a pig sanctuary here in Washington State.

Happy Herbivore! said...

I'm addicted to the hemp one!

its the only boxed food i eat! O usually make my own.. but I keep a box at work just incase im starving and ive eaten all my lunch, etc.

it also got me through the bar exam... I tried the "zen" one and while i like ginger and cranberries they do NOT belong together in oatmeal

Happy Herbivore! said...

I spewed love

http://happyherbivore.com/vegan+pets

Billy said...

Lindsay,

I wasn't huge on the Zen one either. I stick with the Apple Cinnamon and Maple Nut.

Thanks for linking to my posts about vegan diets for pets.

VeganLinda said...

My kids love the apple cin. and the multi-grain raisin flavors best. We add ground flax seeds, black-strap molasses, and fresh or frozen berries to it...each kid likes their own combination so it is easier than making a big batch of oatmeal some mornings. It is also great for a quick snack.

dreamy said...

I saw their product on the shelves here, but they are really expensive and I guess even more so with all the rising oil prices now... Good that you can enjoy that! :)

Vegan_Noodle said...

I liked the nature's path brand too. I eat the flas one with dried blueberries and it's yum. Not enough blueberries, but that'always the story. I too would like to get better about making my own steel cut oats everyday....