Wednesday, March 26, 2008

NYC Trans Fats Ban in Effect?

I saw a post on SuperVegan about Foodswings celebrating its fourth anniversary this coming Sunday. I used to love going to Foodswings when visiting NYC (when I lived on the east coast).

However, I stopped going when I learned that they use trans fats in their food. This is disgusting and something I would never expect from a vegan restaurant. Also, the owner voiced his opposition to the trans fat ban in NYC, which I was not too fond of.

So, this brings me to my question for my readers: Has the ban on trans fats in NYC gone into effect yet?

I'd really like to go back to Foodswings, but will never do so while they use trans fats.

5 comments:

Romina said...

This reminds me of the first time I saw toffuti cream cheese and thought to myself "why on earth would they use trans fats?? Most vegans are extremely health conscious".

Happy Herbivore! said...

romina, i know what you mean! there are 5 tofutti's with saturated and then one tofutti without. ?? crazy.

I love my hometown.. I hope NY's decision to do this, even if it isnt perfect, helps inspire other cities and towns!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

i always thought it was weird when purposely vegan foods have trans fats.

Jennifer said...

I agree with all the other comments, most vegans tend to be at least fairly health conscious, why do they put this stuff in our food?

Anonymous said...

Would you care to explain how food can be both vegan *and* not contain trans-fats?