Friday, March 21, 2008

My Eco-Friendly Wedding Invitations


Now that my fiancee and I have sent out our invitations and everyone has seen them, I can share them with you.

We ended up going with the Cosmo invitations, made by InviteSite. They're said to be perfect for a contemporary garden or outdoor wedding. (Our wedding is going to be outdoors in a park.)

We're really impressed with them. We've received numerous compliments from our guests as well.

Here's a picture of the open invitation (before having been put together):



All materials in the Cosmo set are eco-friendly. Some items are completely tree-free and some are 100% post-consumer recycled. Take a look at InviteSite's list of eco-friendly invitations.

We decided to order the materials only from InviteSite and put the invitations together ourselves. (My fiancee deserves the credit for most of this, as I am not the artistic one). They gave us Word document template files, which we customized to our liking. Then, we printed the invitations and RSVP cards and put them together.

After going through the process I have some pros and cons about InviteSite:
  • Pros: Eco-friendly, beautiful materials, friendly customer service, templates provided

  • Cons: Minimum order of 50 sets, unable to order online


The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Maybe they'll add Internet ordering in the near future. The minimum order requirement is obnoxious for people with small weddings - we're expecting 30 guests - but we plan to use the extras as our thank you cards.

If you're planning a green wedding I highly recommend InviteSite. Just be sure to look at their eco-friendly list and ignore the rest.

If you'd like to read more about our upcoming wedding, I posted a few weeks ago about planning my vegan wedding.

(Images courtesy of InviteSite.)

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Neat! I love that you manage to find all sorts of odd vegan and eco-friendly items. You are obviously someone who understands the need to tred lightly on the Earth. I highly respect that.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Those invites are beautiful!! We used eco-friendly invites for our mostly vegan wedding recently. Very cool that your fiance put them together too.. I'll bet that made them at least a little bit cheaper!

Billy said...

Thanks Jennifer. It is very important to tread lightly on the earth.

Vegan Noodle: Do you have pictures or a link to the invitations you used?

Vegan_Noodle said...

I do!! Here is a link to a post I did on our invitations on our now dormant wedding blog:
http://johnandamandaswedding.blogspot.com/2007/08/put-it-on-recycled-paper.html

Elaine Vigneault said...

Those are really pretty. Nice choice!

Rural Vegan said...

Those are just gorgeous!

Pregnantly Plump said...

Hey Billy - that color orange is so beautiful! I think it's great that you did the assembling yourselves. Bob and I made our wedding programs ourselves (designed, printed and folded) and it was a lot of fun doing something for the wedding together.

Happy Herbivore! said...

gorgeous!

p.s. there were only 17 guests at our weddng... whch was really a paper signing...

Billy said...

Wow, 17 guests. You had less than I'll have (unless a lot of people decide not to go).

VeganLinda said...

I love the invitations! I'm sure your wedding will be wonderful!

Helen said...

Thanks for writing about our invites. We're working on those 'cons' right now. Because we create complex designs, with unusual papers, on 19th century printing presses and other archaic devices, we have a complex process. So, we've been building custom software to handle the work process. Which means we're had to build a custom shopping cart, to handle the wedding complexities on the couples' end. (plus, waste is simply not an option around here.) We've been working with treefree papers for 13 years now....

The new Invitesite should launch in about a month. Hopefully, all these efficiencies will give us much more of an opportunity to bring more greenness to the world.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information about the invitations, I have been searching for beautiful eco-friendly invites and your post helped me to find this website thank you!

Molly said...

I was an eco-bride too! During the process of planning my wedding I developed these Virtual Invitations. Surprisingly, I only had to print 10 paper invitations! Thank you for encouraging other brides to embrace the eco-goddess within. Visit my website to see these invitations in action:

www.designempowered.com

Wendy City said...

These are lovely. I already purchased some eco-friendly invites from weddingpaperdivas.com but I might order programs through invitesite. Thanks! :D