Sunday, March 9, 2008

Let's Make Vegan Kitten Food

Do you have a kitten? I'll show you how to easily make food for him/her.

You may recall from a previous post (Veganizing Your Pets) that I feed my dog, cat, and kitten a vegan diet. Well, here's how I make my kitten Delilah's food.

Recipe

I use the Chickpea Tofu recipe in the Vegekit instructions. (Vegekit is made by Harbingers of a New Age.)

I double the recipe and use 16oz of tofu rather than 17oz, as 16oz is a common size package for tofu. So, here is the recipe I use:

25 oz organic canned garbanzo beans
16 oz organic firm tofu
2/3 cup Vegeyeast (also made by Harbingers)
2 1/2 T Vegekit
8 tsp organic olive oil

Here's a picture of everything you'll need:



I recommend using organic for as much as possible.

Step 1: Drain and rinse the chickpeas



Why do canned chickpeas smell so bad? I love chickpeas, but they smell disgusting right out of the can.

Step 2: Pour the chickpeas into the food processor



Step 3: Crumble the tofu and add it to the food processor



Watch out for cats! If your cats are like mine, they'll go after the Vegeyeast.





Step 4: Add the Vegyeast, Vegekit, and olive oil



Step 5: Blend until mixed

Note: Do not blend too much. You want the food to be thick, not smooth.



Doesn't that look appetizing? Smell it. It smells awful because of the Vegekit, but Delilah loves it. She can't wait for me to put her food down.

So, there you have it. Vegan kitten food!

10 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Aww... I don't have a kitty, but yours sure are lucky!

Billy said...

They're spoiled rotten. When I'm making their food (or mine) they'll repeatedly jump up on the counter and try to steal food. Brats. :)

Heather Z said...

Cool. I've been trying to convert my super, special cat Thelonious into a vegan. Everyone gives me a hard time about it, like I'm going to make him blind or lose his hair.

My cat LOVES the liquid from the canned garbanzo beans, so he's probably go nuts for your cat food. I'll have to try this out.

Billy said...

Thanks for the comment Heather.

If your cat is not a kitten, I'd recommend using Vegecat instead, as it's specially formulated for cats. Vegekit is formulated for kittens.

You could also use Evolution kibble. It's much easier. All you do is soak it in water. I have instructions for what I do with it for my cat Owen on my post Veganizing Your Pets.

VeganLinda said...

We had three vegan cats and they did very well (all have died from old age now so we are kittyless). People gave us a hard time until one of our cats (a stray I had taken in and loved for years) almost died. The vet couldn't figure out anything for him. I switched Tigger to a vegan diet and it literally saved his life. Even my vet had to admit it. Tigger went on to live to a ripe old age. We used a combo of Evolution and Vegecat. Your kitties are so lucky to have you!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Very cool. Do you think dogs would eat this? I have no pets but have been trying to encourage a close vegetarian friends to cut out meat from her dog's diet...

Billy said...

Dogs are really easy to turn vegan. I'd highly suggest feeding dogs Evolution. I wrote about it in my Veganizing Your Pets post.

dreamy said...

I don't have a cat, but I like cats :) Commercial pet food is really bad for them :(

Billy said...

Dreamy,

You're exactly right. Commercial pet food is really bad for them. Just read back through the news about the pet food recall. That was crazy.

I blame Science Diet on my dog developing tumors and cancer, and having to be put to sleep at the age of nine.

Pet food is not fit for human consumption, yet we feed it to our companion animals.

Nicoleliza said...

Wow, that looks pretty easy, thanks for the tutorial. Lucy eats Evolution (and Zack eats half-Evolution, half-prescription diet). I've wanted to try homemade food for them, but thought I was too lazy. I might actually give it a try now :)