Monday, March 24, 2008

Illegal Killing of Endangered Mountain Gorillas

Michael Markarian blogged today about a park ranger arrested for spearheading the disgusting (and illegal) killing of endangered mountain gorillas in Congo.

There is a picture showing four gorillas strapped to makeshift stretchers. I've decided not to post the image here. You may view it on his blog if you so desire.

Michael points out that only about 700 mountain gorillas remain in the wild. He says, "The ranger apparently orchestrated the slayings to deter and demoralize environmentalists who are working to preserve the gorilla’s rainforest habitat."

What a poor excuse for a human being. Things like this make me sick to my stomach. Gorillas are beautiful creatures. Why do some people partake in such violence? I think it has a lot to do with our detachment from our natural world and one another.

4 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I can barely think about this it mkes me so angry and sad. Gorillas are beautiful, fascinating creatures. Back when I still went to zoos (I struggle now because I love watching animals but don't know if i agree with zoos), I would watch gorillas for hours. They make you really wonder how people can't believe in evolution....

Jennifer said...

It's so sad what we do to nature and other creatures. It also angers me, what gives us the right to do these horrible things to other creatures? Who ordained us as 'god' who gets to choose who lives and who dies? And I agree with Vegan_Noodle - look at them, watch them, and tell me they are not very similar to ourselves.

VeganLinda said...

This is so awful. No sentient being should be treated like this, but you would think even humans who don't care about most animals would find some connection with gorillas.

http://www.greatapeproject.org/

Rural Vegan said...

I'm at a loss for words. No matter how much senseless killing I see or read about, each instance still disgusts and saddens me.